Title of the experiment: Power supply with Zener diode as Regulator
AIM: To simulate Power supply with Zener diode as Regulator
1. MULTISIM Software Loaded PC=1
2. Zener Diode Symbol
3. Design Circuit
4. Simulation Procedure
5. Output Waveform
A Zener diode operates just like a normal diode when it is forward-biased. However, when connected in reverse biased mode, a small leakage current flows through the diode. As the reverse voltage increases to the predetermined breakdown voltage (Vz), current starts flowing through the diode. The current increases to a maximum, which is determined by the series resistor, after which it stabilizes and remains constant over a wide range of applied voltage.
ZENER DIODE SYMBOL:
Zener diode voltage regulator Circuit:
Zener diode voltage regulator Output:
• Open MULTISIM Software.
• Click=> New => Design1
• Click save as in Desk Top rename the Design1 to your circuit name.
• Go to Component tool bar and select the components.
• Draw the above circuits using the components that are available in the tool bar and then save the circuit.
• Double click AC_POWER set 75v, 100v, 120vand 150v its value above mentioned.
• Click simulate button or press F5 key => RUN
• Then double click connected in the output of the volt meter and measure input and output voltages.
• Then Change input voltage, again measure and print the output voltages.
The Power supply with Zener diode as Regulator are designed, simulated and verified through the output with the help of multimeter.
Questions with answers:
1. Zener Diode is mostly used as ____________
Explanation: The Zener diode, once in the breakdown region, keeps the voltage in the circuit to which it is connected as constant. Thus it is widely used as a voltage regulator.
2. In the circuit, what is the output voltage?
a) 50 V
b) 70 V
c) 120 V
d) 170 V
Answer: would be equal to 50 V.
3. Zener diode is designed to specifically work in which region without getting damaged?
a) Active region
b) Breakdown region
c) Forward bias
d) Reverse bias
Answer: b, Explanation: The Zener diode is a specifically designed diode to operate in the breakdown region without getting damaged. Because of this characteristic, it can be used as a constant-voltage device.
All experiments should be designed and verified through simulation tools like Multisim.
1. Zener diode (Forward and Reverse bias characteristics)
2. Rectifier circuits ( Half wave, Full wave, Bridge rectifier with filters)
3. Power supply with Zener diode as Regulator
4. Common Base transistor output characteristics
5. Common emitter amplifier (Implementation of Current Series negative feedback)
6. Emitter follower (Implementation of Voltage Series negative feedback)
7. RC Coupled amplifier (Implementation of the concept of multistage amplifier)
8. Clippers and Clampers
9. RC Phase shift oscillator (Medium frequency Sine wave generators)
10. Hartley oscillator (High frequency Sine wave generator)
11. Astable Multivibrator (Square or Rectangular wave generator)
12. Gate triggering of SCR with various gate currents.