Adjustable voltage regulator LM317 Pinout and Other Details:
LM317 is a very famous adjustable voltage regulator IC available in many different packages. Today we are going to discuss about LM317 pinout, equivalent, uses, features and other details about this IC.
1. Capable of providing upto 1.5A current at the output.
2. Voltage adjustable from 1.2V to 37V.
3. Requires low external components.
4. Requires only two external resistors for output adjustment.
5. Capable of short circuit protection.
6. Over heat shutdown function.
7. Low price.
8. Reliable to use in commercial applications.
9. Maximum input voltage is 40V DC.
10. Low standby current.
Previously we have discussed some fixed voltage regulator ICs like LM7805, LM7806, LM7809, LM7812 and LM7815. All these ICs are designed to provide a fixed output voltage.
The output is adjustable from 1.2V to 37V DC with max output current of 1.5A. The output voltage can be adjusted with the help of 5K variable resistor. The 40V input is not mandatory you can provide any voltage between 3V to 40V DC, depends on your output voltage requirements. For example if you want to build a 1.2V to 12V adjustable power supply then provide 3V higher than your maximum output voltage. In the above requirement of 1.2V to 12V supply the input voltage must not less than 15V.
1. Voltage step down circuits.
2. Lab power supplies.
3. Battery Chargers.
4. Solar Power Supplies.
5. Microcontroller Related Applications.
6. DC to DC converters.
7. Portable Instruments.
Replacement and Equivalent:
How to Safely Long Run in a Circuit:
To get stable and long term performance from LM317 do not provide input voltage more than 40V DC, do not drive load of more than 1.5A always use a proper heatsink.