IOT based Smart Car Parking System using Node MCU
With growing popularity of smart cities, there is always a demand for smart solutions for every domain. The IOT has enabled the possibility of smart cities with it’s over the internet control feature. A person can control the devices installed in his home or office from anywhere in the world by just using a smartphone or any internet connected devices. There are multiple domains in a smart city and smart parking is one of the popular domain in the smart city. The smart parking industry has seen a number of innovations such smart parking management system, smart gate control, smart cameras which can detect types of vehicle, ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition), smart payment system, smart entry system and may more.
Today similar approach will be followed and a smart parking solution will be built which will use an ultrasonic sensor to detect vehicle presence and trigger the gate to open or close automatically. The ESP8266 NodeMCU will be used here as the main controller to control all the peripherals attached to it. In this IOT smart parking system, we will send data to webserver for looking up the availability of space for vehicle parking. Here we are using firebase as lot database to get the parking availability data. For this we need to find the Firebase host address and the secret key for authorization.
If you already know using firebase with Node MCU then you can move ahead else you should first learn to use Google Firebase Console with ESP8266 Node MCU to get the host address and secret key.
Applications of Smart Car Parking System:-
1. Optimized parking – Users find the best spot available, saving time, resources and effort. Reduced traffic – Traffic flow increases as fewer cars are required to drive around in search of an open parking space.
2. Reduced pollution – Searching for parking burns around one million barrels of oil a day. An optimal parking solution will significantly decrease driving time, thus lowering the amount of daily vehicle emissions and ultimately reducing the global environmental footprint.
3. Enhanced User Experience – A smart parking solution will integrate the entire user experience into a unified action. Driver’s payment, spot identification, location search and time notifications all seamlessly become part of the destination arrival process.
4. New Revenue Streams – Many new revenue streams are possible with smart parking technology. For example, lot owners can enable tiered payment options dependent on parking space location. Also, reward programs can be integrated into existing models to encourage repeat users.
5. Integrated Payments – Returning users can replace daily, manual cash payments with account invoicing and application payments from their phone. This could also enable customer loyalty programs and valuable user feedback.
6. Increased Safety – Parking lot employees and security guards contain real-time lot data that can help prevent parking violations and suspicious activity. License plate recognition cameras can gather pertinent footage.
7. Real-Time Data and Trend Insight – Over time, a smart parking solution can produce data that uncovers correlations and trends of users and lots. These trends can prove to be invaluable to lot owners as to how to make adjustments and improvements to drivers.
8. Decreased Management Costs – More automation and less manual activity saves on labor cost and resource exhaustion.
9. Increased Service and Brand Image – Whether the destination is a retail store, an airport or a corporate business office, visitors will surely be impressed with the cutting edge technology and convenience factors.